Japan's largest tea producer, Shizuoka Prefecture. AOI TEA is made of only the tea leaves in Honyama region which is the birthplace of tea cultivation in Shizuoka that has 800 years of history. The tea leaves cultivated in Honyama region are supervised by Yoshio Moriuchi who is a "chasi(tea master)" from a single family farm that has grown tea for the imperial family from the Kamakura Period and the leaves are carefully selected by him. The tea grown in Honyama region benefits from the nutrition of the mountain, its "underground water and mist of the Southern Alps" produced by Abe-kawa River, so that it creates the clearly refreshing scent and the deeply rich flavor which differs from the tea in a plain. Also, AOI TEA is very famous as a purveyor to the General of Edo, Tokugawa Ieyasu.
All the tea plantations for this AOI TEA are "eco-farmers" approved by Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries.
It has been said that the beginning of tea in Shizuoka is by "Shouichi Kokushi", the Motoyama-born priest of the Kamakura period who brought back tea seeds when returning from China and seeded them close to his birthplace.
Eco-farmer is a farmer who got the certificate from Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries.(pesticide use is less than 50% with more than 80 percent of the fertilizer organic.)
Yoshio Moriuchi / the record of winning awards
- The 4th World Green Tea Contest Gold Award
- The 2nd World Green Tea Contest Gold Award
- The 1st World Green Tea Contest Silver Award
- The 6th O-CHA(Tea) Frontier Contest Silver Award
- The 5th International Tea Fair (The International Institute of Tea Science and Culture) NY, the U.S. Gold Award
- The 4th O-CHA(Tea) Frontier Contest Silver Award
- The 3rd O-CHA(Tea) Frontier Contest Silver Award
- The 2nd O-CHA(Tea) Frontier Contest Silver Award
Received the designation of the tea plantation for dedicating to the Imperial family.
- The 1st O-CHA(Tea) Frontier Contest Bronze Award